Monday, November 3, 2008

Day one

So I've created and still maintain countless blogs on a number of different topics and they have all lead me to this point. I've spent the better part of the last decade in education and the most important lesson that I've learned is I have no idea what I'm doing. I do know that the way we teach kids today can't be the best possible way. Our current system does a great job of sapping most of the creativity from our kids. We teach the kids that it is more important to memorize information than it is to come up with something new and imaginative. There are obvious exceptions to the rule, but generally this is what we have done. Why do we group kids based upon their date of manufacture? Why do all kids have to learn the same concepts at the same pace? Does our curriculum even address concepts or are we just teaching content? For me, the key to change is technology. Technology is nothing in and of itself but if it can be combined with great teachers who are willing to take risks and are backed by administrators who believe in them it can be a paradigm shift. So this blog is going to be my memoirs of my experiences. I've been motivated by countless other educators who have rang a call to arms for change. If change is ever going to happen, we as teachers need to change what we do at the most basic level. We need revolution, not evolution!!

No comments: